Friday, August 19, 2011

A Poem About My Morning

As usual, it's been forever since I've written, but better hardly ever than never, right? So, as most of you know, I had Olivia on July 26th, 2010 and what a perfect birth story I had! She was and is so beautiful I can still scarcely believe she's mine! She's a great little girly with a sunshiny personality and big blue eyes and loose light brown curls that takes long morning naps! Whoohoo! I was just saying to Jared yesterday that I think if it weren't for naps, all stay-at-home moms would kill themselves. I graduated from grad school and am now officially a MASTER in teaching! You may bow to me now and address me as Master Ali. I couldn't believe it, but I managed a 3.97 GPA and, although there were times I wasn't sure I was going to make it, I survived student teaching.

I am now, as I said, a stay-at-home mom searching for a seemingly non-existent job for fall. I do have a screening interview Monday to get on the Beaverton School District Sub. list, which is actually my ideal! That way I can stay home with Olivia sometimes, like if she is sick or I just miss her, but I can get lots of great ideas and connections to begin my teaching career with. I hope to find a better perspective on exactly where I'd like to teach and exactly what and whom through substituting. That's the play, anyways.

I've developed an even GREATER respect for moms (and dads) throughout the universe through this staying at home all day every day thing. I would like a job to get a vacation, please, and my child is EASY! Can you imagine? No, you can't unless you've done it, but trust me - buy your mom or another mom flowers and say thanks (not me or I'll just feel like I bullied you into it and that's a waste)!

Now I've got my parents in Tigard still, my little sister in Hillsboro, and my big sister and her family in Beaverton. Everyone is just where I want them - CLOSE to me! Aunty Candy makes a great babysitter and I'm enjoying much more time with both my sisters these days. I just went to Michigan to be in my brother, Nat's, wedding and I got to take Olivia and Jared with me and stay with my cousin Amber and her husband, Jeff. Everyone was so happy to meet my little family and have us there for the big day and it was SUCH a gorgeous wedding and so much fun! Even Jared enjoyed himself, despite being saddled with the child the majority of the time due to my bridesmaid duties and me just wanting to spend lots and lots of time having fun with everybody!

It was a bit bittersweet as it might have been one of my last times to see my birthmom, Michele, who has been diagnosed with uterine cancer. This cancer is generally not a killer, but when you're stubborn, tough and have no health coverage, it becomes a killer after several years of denying it and keeping it to yourself. She was told there is no possible treatment that could stop it or take it away at this point and she has about six months to live. Pain mitigation is the only goal now. It is a sad truth I think most of us are still kind of in denial about, but dealing with fairly well on most days. She made it to the wedding and reception - ALL of it, which has been a big question and a big goal for a while now, so I feel that this gives everyone a little consolation about the whole situation, but it still sucks no matter which way you look at it. She has said that she is at peace with dying and know's where she's going, but to be honest, I don't know what that means. On good days, she still has her sense of humor about her, but she's never as chatty as she once was, so I guess I will have to carry that torch and I do believe I am able...

To end on a positive note, because that is how I like to "roll," the sun is shining, my pug is snoring at my feet and I am enjoying a sweet nap time break. Tomorrow I get to go floating down the Sandy River with some of my bestest friends and was specifically told to leave what little class I have at home - should be no problem!

No comments: