Friday, January 22, 2010

The Day We Went to the Beach With Grandma and Grandpa

Someone mentioned Bruce's Candy Kitchen today on Facebook and it just reminded me to share a funny story, so I thought where better to share it than on my blog?

It was a nice summer day and my sweet grandparents had decided to take some of my cousins and I to Cannon Beach. I'll never forget it...they took us there to see the taffy being made at Bruce's Candy Kitchen, BUT the machine wasn't running when we went in, so while we looked around and drooled at the candy that WAS made, they decided we should just leave without buying any of us any candy! It had obviously not crossed their minds how much torment this would be especially for my youngest cousin Mark. So, as we walked out empty-handed and continued along the sidewalk, he moped, hanging his head as low as he could, until BAM! He walked right into the rearview mirror of a big truck at which point he was wounded both psychologically and physically. What a day at the beach for little Marky (and the rest of us)! I just remember thinking to myself, "How do they not see that this is just not right?"

I'll always remember fondly all the times when we would be riding in my grandparent's car and they would have Altoids or gum, so of course because their main ingredient is sugar, we would always ask if we could have one. They would oblige, but not without specifying that we were to "keep it in our mouths." I always thought this was funny because the last thing I'm ever going to spit out is candy!

No comments: